I was in Rome on my birthday. It was nothing like I thought it would be. The old beautiful monuments were in the middle of the city. Wow! I like!
I thought it was going to be the shopping that was amazing. But I was astonished by the beautiful city, and I almost forgot the shops.
We walked and walked and walked. And we saw so many beautiful buildings, monuments and the most beautiful one was the fountain “Fontana de Trevi”. Don’t miss it!
We also visited the Gucci shop, expensive but a must when in Rome. Suddenly the staff in the other shops treated us differently. It is amazing (and scary) what a shopping bag from Gucci can change peoples attitude towards you. The Gucci shop is next to all the other exclusive designer shops on Via Condotti 8.
In the evening, we had an unbelievable romantic and expensive dinner with at lovely view over Rome. Suddenly the Gucci bag felt quite cheap ;-)
But the best food during the trip were at the Giggetto restaurant.
There are so many things to see in Rome, the Vatikan city, Roman Colosseum, Roman Forum, Spanish steps, piazza navona, trastevere. Check out google maps, buy a tourist book or go on a guided tour.
Or just grab a map from the hotel reception, walk alone and enjoy the magic of Rome.
If you like classical music, visit the opera house in Rome. It is one of the best in Europe. But book in advance… But don´t go to Rome during the summer, as the weather is way too hot. Go to Rome during the spring, in March-May.
Italian travel expert http://twitter.com/ItalyTravelista recommended me these luxury resturants in Rome: Hotel de Russie, Hotel Hassler, Hotel de la Minerve & St. Regis.
Fashion magazine Elle recommends these restaurants in their magazine recently:
- Salotto 42 for drinks & antipastibuffet. Address: Piazza Di Pietra 42
- Dar Poeta, restaurant in Travestera with fab pizza. Address Vicolo del Bologna 45
- Ristorante Lagana restaurant with great pasta, fish & meat dishes. Address: Via del´Orso 44.
- Piazza de Popolo, from 1800 with Rome´s largest obelisk . The famous street Via del Corso starts here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_del_Popolo
- Piazza Navona, one of the most beautiful squares in Rome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_Navona
- Campo dei fiori, A market with fruit and vegetables during the day, and a large party in the evenings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_de'_Fiori