03 August 2009

Desert vacation in Dubai


10 top things to do in Dubai?

The first new country this year was Dubai. It was exciting to go there and to see the desert but one visit is not enough and I will go back. This is my report from the city of sand.

Visting the desert
There are many excellent hotels in Dubai. I just love the desert!
Bab-al-shams...
Do I need to say more?

Jumeirah Bab Al Shams Desert Resort and Spa is an excellent retreat in a traditional Arabic setting in the desert outside Dubai. I just wished we had stayed here for the whole week!
I was a tiny bit scared of the falcon that the falconer wanted me to hold. They also offered me a trip on a camel in the desert before we went back to town.
I bought a lovely red camel to take home. If you want one you can order one at http://jumeirahcollection.com/Art/For/Home/79-105-22509/Camel+Caravan+Saandhni.aspx

Shopping capital of the Middle East
Dubai is labelled the "shopping capital of the Middle East". We visited the Dubai mall. Supersize and super empty. Where is everyone??But on the other hand there were no queues in the shops. Shopping in Dubai, takes time, so many shops, so little time. But it is the same stuff in the shops as at home so do spend your time in Dubai on other things.

I bought some lovely art at Gallery One. Check out their arab pop art in the Dubai Shopping Mall or on But I bought pictures of the Arabic desert

In Dubai there is actually something called a shopping festival Dubai… believe it or not. I was there a week before the festival started. Bad luck or not?

The taxi driver told me the business was slow and not so many tourists and customers as before. He thought of moving back to India. Maybe that is why the shopping malls were so empty??
Strange and a bit scary to watch people ice-skating in Dubai for the first time, without helmets….in a huge shopping mall...the Dubai Mall

Another huge shopping mall in Dubai is Mall of the emiratesIt was fun to watch people skiing for the first time at the indoor Ski Dubai at the mall of the emirates.
We had dinner at one of the 44 (!!) Restaurants in hotel Madinat Jumeriah in DubaiDo not miss this place! After dinner take a romantic trip with a boat in the canal in the hotel area or sit down and watch the Burj al arab in the sun down.

We went down to “the walk” in Dubai by the beach and sea and have lunch at restaurant Paul and a walk afterwards on the beach or by the walk watch all the luxury cars. But the best lunch was at the hotel resturant The Adress by the pool with a view of the world´s tallest building in Dubai centre. But do avoid the Atlantis area and restaurants. It was not worth the trip.

To summarize the week: in Dubai I really relaxed by the pool at the beautiful Desert Resort. I wished we had stayed in the desert for a week.