15 July 2009

Österlen is fantastic


10 top things to do at Österlen?

I do love Österlen in Skåne in the South of Sweden. These are my favourite places...

Österlen is a region on the eastcoast of Sweden. It is by the sea and I really like the region for its nature, lovely small houses, art galleries, design hotels and great restaurants.

I looked at 25 artists work at KAOS south of Kivik. It is easy to find. I found a lot of things a liked and bought some. This is where I bought my giant tea cup I have at work. It is made by Saga Johnsson. You can also visit her shop and workshop on the way to Stenshuvud.

The must-try-drink when you are at Österlen is the local apple juice and food made of fruit made locally in Kivik. Buy it by the street. I tried a glass in the café and then I bought a lot in the factory shop at Kiviks musteri or the smaller and lovlier Kivikås close to Kivik.
Where to stay at Österlen? I like Östangård bed and breakfast and design shopBut I love Karlaby Kro hotel and spa even more.
Have lunch or dinner at Karlaby Kro and you will be happy for a month.
A friend told me that the hotel and restaurant Vitemölla Badhotell is a must. But I missed to go there last summer. But I will not miss it this summer. It looks supernice!
The best place for coffee and cookies is the bakery Olof Viktors
http://www.olofviktors.se/

The rooms are not so nice but the food is lovely at hotel and restaurant Brösarps gästgiveri. I had the fish "Helstekt Spätta från Simrishamn med Champinjoner och brynt Smör" when I stayed in Brösarp. Mums as we say in Swedish! But the best restaurant is Maritim Krog, address Hamngatan 31, in Simrishamn. Evelinas Kök is also nice for at meal, address Storgatan 3.

Some more shopping? I found Himla table cloths & things at great prices at Stärkan kvalitetsoutlet in Kivik. Dining at home will be even nicer this autumn with things I bought...

I feel in love with a painting when I visited the gallery on Eliselundsvägen 45 in Kivik. The artist was friendly enough to show us his gallery and studio which had a great view of Kivik.
Check out his marvellous paintings at http://www.hagman.se/main.php?page=konstnarer&subpage=konstnar.php&username=Bengt%20Yman
There is also a nice shop in Kivik at Eliselundsvägen 18, just opposite with handmade design things.
I feel happy when I look at Gunilla Manns paitings. A lot of colours and happiness. She has a studio in Rörum and a shop in Simrishamn. Buy a painting of a postcard as a memory of your trip to Österlen. I like the one of Nyhavn in Copenhagen a lot.
It is perfect to go to Österlen in May-August. But if you like art you should try to visit it during Easter beacuse of the "konstrunda". It is an art exhibition where 150 artists open their homes and studios to the public. I was there in 2009 and loved it, although it snowed heavily during the whole weekend.
Do you dream of a house at Österlen? Look at this real estate homepage. Their presentations of the houses that are for sale totally look like an interior design magazine! http://www.uppvik.nu/

Finally some must do things från my friend Eva who lives in Skåne:
  1. Play golf at one of the beautiful golf courses; for example the golfcourse Lilla Vik outside Simrishamn. You can stay at their hotel and play golf for a weekend. I tried their restaurant and checked their rooms last summer. Looks good!
  2. Visit Kronovalls vinslott (wine castle). Have a wine tasting sesscion, have dinner and stay at their hotel. It is quite expensive and I have not tried it but it seems like a nice place.
  3. Visit Konstrundan
You might guess what her hobbies are by the above tips?